Sunday, July 23, 2006

Lie back and think of...

Part Two of the foot sugery saga..."The Recovery"

I arrived home on the Monday evening and wasn't feeling too bad, all things considered. Both Steve and my Mum took care of me and I was made comfortable in my new home on the couch.

For the rest of the week I moved only between the couch and my bedroom and only when necessary. Each day was the same as before...got up (with assistance from Steve), was taken to the couch, given breakfast and watched tv virtually all day until evening then off to bed.

On Thursday, following a call to the doctor, we removed the bandage and I got the first glimpse of the wound. This might sound like a weird thing to say but it was beautiful. I shouldn't have been so surprised at the neatness of the sutures because I know that my surgeon was talented in that area - that's one of the reasons I chose him.

Once the bandage was off, I made my first attempt to walk. Prior to that I had hopped on my left leg, used crutches (with extreme difficulty and discomfort) or been pushed around by Steve in my office chair. Walking was pretty awkward and painful but a distinct improvement on my previous attempts at mobility.

On Saturday I made my first journey out of the house since the operation. I took a short shopping trip with Mum. I wasn't out for very long but I was exhausted by the experience nonetheless. Oh I forgot to mention that by now I was using a walking stick. Boy, did that look odd...not to mention, it gave Steve the opportunity to call me "Grandma". Grrrr!





No comments: