Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bad touch!!!!

I've been feeling a little stressed lately and felt that it was high time that I had a massage. I used to get massages quite regularly when I worked at the Australian College of Natural Medicine. As library manager, I felt it was helpful to have a first-hand knowledge of what the students practiced so I could serve their needs better. I steered clear of acupuncture (due to fear) and homoeopathy (because I don't believe in it).

Anyway, back to the massage...

I made an appointment a few days ago for a massage and I was told by the receptionist at Chi Link that if I wanted to claim it on my health fund it needed to be a remedial massage. So I duly went ahead and booked that and indicated my intention to claim from my health fund. I actually would have preferred the softer, more relaxing Swedish massage but that is apparently not claimable.

So I show up today. The massage therapist asks if I want deep tissue." No!" says I. "Nice and light, please." She proceeds to pummel like I was stiff clay. "Is that too hard?" "YES! Can you please go lighter?!" "Ok." She did not! It was as though she completely ignored me...or went even harder on my poor tenderised back.

I offered it up for my sins and hoped that it would be therapeutic and I would feel better for it. (I do not)

When the hour was finished, I go out to pay. I remind them of my intention to claim but they say I needed to tell them this first. I tell them that I did mention in when I made the appointment. It seems the receptionist did not record this at all. I was very annoyed.

One of the more senior members of staff intervened and told me that I needed to tell them these things and I continued to state that I had stated quite clearly to the receptionist my intention to claim health benefits for this treatment. That is the very reason why I was having the less pleasant remedial massage instead of the soft, relaxing Swedish treatment that I really wanted.

Their answer: "Oh well you know for next time." (head tilted, insincere smile, look of disdain in the eyes)

My thought: There won't be a next time,

This can all be summed up as MISCOMMUNICATION...and a sadistic massage therapist.

My back feels bruised and sore and I am no less stressed. Actually, I think I might be even more stressed than before. To make matters worse, I'm tired and it now hurts to lie down.

Not happy, Chi Link.

No comments: