Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go

Bless me Father for I have sinned. It has been 3 weeks since my last blog. But boy, do I have some news to tell you!

As you know, I've been madly looking for work. I've updated my resume and tweaked it so many times; I've addressed countless selection criteria; I've phoned and emailed numerous job agencies and I've attended job interviews and agency information sessions...not to mention the number of skills assessments I've undergone. And for what? Stress. Heartache. Disappointment.

Upon reading earlier entries in this blog, I was contacted by two good friends regarding my jobless plight. The first contact was regarding a job that was sitting vacant which I might have been interested in. As it turned out, my skills were a little lacking in that area and I didn't want to take on a role which I wasn't suited to or capable of carrying out. I would only upset myself and reflect badly on my friend who has suggested me. My sincerest thanks to her for thinking of me though. ;-)

The second contact was from a very good friend who just up and offered me her job!!! What an offer! She was going away and needed someone to be her for a few months and that's where I was to come in. All was set for me to start next Monday barring other eventualities. Here's where the story gets good...

Late last year I saw an advertisement for a job which would suit me down to the ground. The size of the organisation was just what I wanted; the subject matter was interesting and diverse and the position itself looked pretty meaty and fun. The best part of the job ad was that they didn't have a selection criteria to be addressed...simply apply for the job the old fashioned way - a job application letter. (I miss those).

Anyway, I applied for the job and was called for interview. That was a thrill in itself. I was so chuffed that I had scored an interview that anything else was just icing on the cake. So when the day came, I toddled off to the interview. When I got there, I was given a list of questions which they were likely to ask. I read through the list and felt pretty darn confident in my abilities. There was nothing I couldn't handle. Then they called me in. I felt cool, calm and in control. I answered the questions fully and confidently and it all went rather well. There was nothing that I would have done differently. It came to an end and off I went.

As each day after the interview passed, I felt less confident and wondered why they hadn't called. But my concern was misplaced. I received a call asking me to come in to meet the staff and tour the library. I really enjoyed my visit there. The library was really nice and the staff were just lovely. They said the race for the job was between me and one other (a person I knew, actually). So then the panic set in again. When would they call? Would they pick me?

Well I'll save you the suspense... THEY PICKED ME!!!

I start on Tuesday. I'll keep you posted. Oh boy am I happy!

It would be very ungracious of me not to thank all the people who have had faith in me and supported me through the bad times I've had this past year. I especially want to thank my blog reading friends who came to my rescue with job offers - you gave me the courage to believe in myself when I had come to believe that I was useless.

I also want to thank God. I prayed I would get this job. From the moment I saw the job ad, this is what I wanted. He has answered my prayers and I am happy again for the first time in quite a while.

Thanks.


No comments: