Friday, January 06, 2006

A New Year begins with sadness

2006 is underway and I am hoping the first week is not an indication of things to come for this year.

My work contract ended just prior to Christmas and now I am unemployed. I went to Centrelink yesterday to see if I was eligible for any assistance. It seems I am on my own. Well, not exactly...I am entitled to register as a jobseeker in the JobNetwork but that just means I can apply for crappy jobs that I am way too overqualified for. This morning I went through the interview process with my chosen JobNetwork agency and the guy I was interviewed by agreed with my summation of the service.

Nevertheless, I will press on and apply for any and everything I can. With 2 mortgages, Steve and I need both of us to be working.

Steve returned to work yesterday after the holiday but was off work again today due to illness. I also felt like my virus was coming back. All of that paled into insignificance when my mother rang me this evening to tell me that my grandmother had just died. She was 92 years of age and had become quite frail and senile so I suppose her passing is a mercy but I still feel saddened by it. I didn't really know my grandmother or any of my mother's family due to the restrictive nature of their religion. They are Exclusive Brethren. I won't go into detail other than to say they stole my mother's family from me and I don't know my own relations. I feel cheated by them and I cannot seem to shake my resentment. I have been trying to come to terms with this my whole life but to no avail.

Anyway, that's all for now. I will mourn my grandmother and pray for her soul's rest. Bye Grandma.

No comments: